Saturday, November 10, 2012

I Need your help!




Hello everyone!

I am writing on behalf of my sister and her kids 
who were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy
-they live in Brigantine, New Jersey a small barrier reef 
 island off the coast of New Jersey.

My sister Joan's home was flooded-
and in addition to the structural damage to the home- 
most of their possessions on the first floor 
had to be thrown out-
including beds, furniture, clothing, 
blankets, sheets, pillows, towels, etc.-
one of my nieces was only able to salvage 
one pair of shoes and they have a a hole in them!

They rent and do not have insurance on their 
personal possessions. 
As of today they don't have power to their garage 
where their washer and dryer are located...
so they don't know if they are operable.
They are all facing a huge ordeal 
regarding clean up and rebuilding...
my sister is a single parent...
I feel anything we can do to assist her 
to keep her strength and spirit up will go a long way 
to helping her accomplish what she needs to do. 

That is why I am asking my family and friends for donations...
no mater how small...
I truly believe a lot of little ripples 
 make a big wave...of love and support.

Organizations like The Red Cross are incredible -
I have donated to them as well-but they are huge, 
slow moving, bureaucratic dinosaurs-
and my family needs help as soon as possible!

My sister and family are displaced at the moment 
and scattered about with family and friends- 
so I am asking that check and money order donations 
be mailed to me-
as I am acting as the central collection center on her behalf-

She has no definite time-line 
as it is extremely difficult 
to find local contractors
 to come to the house...
as they are overwhelmed with requests...
or having to rebuild their own homes. 
We are all hoping she will be able to move back in soon!!!!

How to Help Now!

Here are ways you can donate:

1) Write a Check to :
Joan Cavanagh 
or Teresa Scopes
 ( I will write a check from my account to her 
 if you are not comfortable writing a check directly 
to my sister because you don't know her-I understand)
Mail the check to:
Terry Scopes
1805 Downington Avenue
Salt Lake City Utah 84108

2) You can email me directly and we can schedule 
a time for you to donate directly to me over the phone 
with your credit or debit card-
I have the square on my iphone and can process 
payments over the internet. 
My email address is : terryscopes@inbox.com

3) You can purchase a prepaid debit or credit card 
(master card or visa) at your bank, shopping malls,
big box stores like Walmart or Target 
and mail them to me-
this way they will be able to purchase what they need 
wherever they need with less logistical hassle:
Terry Scopes
1805 Downington Avenue
Salt Lake City Utah 84108
I will get them to my sister.

4) You can send a money order made out to: 
Joan Cavanagh - 
I will forward it to my sister...
please mail them to:
Terry Scopes
1805 Downington Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84108

I know many of you may have family in the same position as mine...
my heartfelt love and prayers go out to your families!


Thank you for your donations
- please feel free to forward the link to this blog
to any of your family and friends
 who you think would like to help.
Love to all.
Terry Scopes

No comments:

Post a Comment